Saturday, August 13, 2011

Quick Review of JBL PRX612M

We just got these bad boys in, here is a quick review….

LIGHTWEIGHT!! I know, you have already read that they are incredibly lightweight, and so had I, so why would I mention it first thing? I work every day around thousands of speakers, active speakers are heavy, the PRX612Ms aren’t. If you are a mobile audio DJ, or a working musician, the mere 34lbs will be such a relief!  Besides being lightweight, they seem durable, and the sealed design and heavy scratch resistant coating on the exterior makes me believe these will endure the test of time. 

Setting them up was easy, however, I must say I was a little surprised at the lack of features on the rear, I expected more EQ capability out of JBL. It has a Monitor/Main control switch basically means if you are using them on their side or on the floor as monitors, they roll off at about 90dB to keep from sounding muddy and produce less coupling. That might be a cool feature for bands, not a big advantage for mobile audio djs. 

The overall sound is AWESOME and wow…they get so loud! The specifications state that they are an incredible 134db, and I absolutely believe it. The PRX612M reproduce tight low end with very crisp mid and highs. Pair with a stand alone sub like the EON518s, if you are looking for booming bass, but for this size of speaker, the PRX kicks some decent bass.  The sound quality is excellent, one of the best that I have ever heard and add that to the sheer awesome power and lightweight cabinet the PRX612M is the perfect mobile audio dj / karaoke speaker.

No comments:

Post a Comment